MISSION MINIMALISM

Perhaps it's my nordic mentality that sparked my keen interest towards anything and everything to do with minimalism. As far as I can r...

Perhaps it's my nordic mentality that sparked my keen interest towards anything and everything to do with minimalism. As far as I can remember, I've always strongly disliked clutter, having packed closets and drawers or having an untidy room. In addition, I love organising and re-arranging my room over and over again. I think my record in re-arranging the furniture in my small 3m by 3m room back in Finland is five times within three months. 

My attention towards minimalism heightened when moving out to university. I was only able to bring a maximum of two suitcases when moving out, so that forced me to think what do I actually need. When my flatmates and friends rooms are jam-packed with everything and what not, I enjoy clutter-free shelves, and an organised closet that actually do make my life at Uni a lot more enjoyable. Thus for my post today I want to share with you guys my top tips for a more minimalist lifestyle, enjoy!
1) Keep your routines simple
I try to use as few products as possible when it comes to beauty routines or styling my hair. I know this may not be possible for everyone, but I am lucky to have very trouble-free skin, so all I need is a good cleanser, make up remover and a moisturiser. As for hair I don't like the feeling of products in it, so I just opt for the basic shampoo and conditioner and leave it at that. 

2) Have a go-to / statement makeup look
This tip partly ties into the previous one, but I've found it a life- and time-saver to have a statement make up look that is easy, quick and effortless requiring as few products as possible. I also tend to give a given product, for example an eye shadow palette, multiple purposes. Instead of just using it as eye shadow, I use it to fill in my eyebrows (if the colour matches) and as a contour/bronzer. For some this may be a major no-no, but on my face it at least works :)

3) Declutter 
Decluttering my room and closets puts me into such a good and refreshed mood. There's something about the act of getting rid of stuff (recycling, donating or throwing it away) that always leaves me in a good mood. I love having organised and spacious shelves and having the things I only truly need in them. Decluttering also helps me get rid of stress and it gives me a new wave of inspiration and motivation. I highly suggest you to try decluttering your life and eliminating unnecessary things from your daily life. I know decluttering is difficult for those people who place a lot of sentimental value on things. "Luckily" I'm not one of those, which allows me to get rid of things without feeling guilty about it, even if someone else has given it to be as a present (sorry!). 

4) Build a capsule wardrobe 
I read about the capsule wardrobe a few years back and ever since it has given me more structure to my wardrobe and style. Not so surprisingly my style is also very minimalist. I like my timeless and classy pieces in various shades of black, grey, white and with the occasional pop of colour. A capsule wardrobe has saved me several valuable minutes in the mornings, because I can now pull any clothing pieces out of my closet and they will go together.

5) Choose quality of quantity
The following tip is a motto that I live by in life; quality over quantity. Whether it be to do with the people around me, or buying new clothes or make up, I always go for the quality option. For example, I like to invest in good quality timeless clothes, because I know I will get a lot of wear out of them and if they're timeless, they will never go out of style and will always have purpose. Also for make up, I have decided to invest in certain products. I have found out that I will be more careful and thoughtful with their use, if I know that it is an expensive bronzer, for example. Less is more, guys!

6) Invest in experiences over things
My final tip that I'm starting to involve more into my current life is to invest in experiences rather than things. Going out there into the world, travelling and trying out new things will give you so much more and create much more valuable memories and experiences than any bought item can. This is part of my goal for this year and that is to get out there and do things! Telling a story of what you have seen, where you have been or met will be so much more valuable than showing just an item. Investing in more experiences is definitely one of my goals for this year. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments